Statement of Purpose
The Pastry Cook is essential to our success at the Key Biscayne Yacht Club kitchen and plays a vital role in providing an exceptional experience for our Members. The Pastry Cook plays a key role in each and every Member’s experience, directly and indirectly. The Pastry Cook is responsible for all aspects of their assigned station. They know how to work in tandem with the Executive and Pastry Chef and entire culinary staff to ensure proper execution of both à la carte and private event menu items. The Pastry Cook goes above and beyond to ensure all dining and kitchen needs are met to exceed Member expectations.
- Prepare high-quality pastry items with a heavy focus on à la carte dining and private event menu items.
- Weighing, measuring, mixing, and prepping ingredients accurately for cooking and baking with strict adherence to the Executive and Pastry Chef’s standards.
- Checking ingredients for freshness as well as arranging and garnishing items.
- Plan, prepare, and produce desserts and breads. May also prep salads as needed.
- Maintain proper sanitation standards for kitchen area, equipment, and utensils; confirm that all commodities are labeled and stored correctly on a daily basis. Ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures.
- Keep the back of the house areas organized and clean.
- Keep up with trends and apply knowledge for use at the Club.
- Follow the prep list created to plan duties.
- Develop and cultivate positive peer and vendor relationships.
- Support a culture of enthusiasm, teamwork, and superior service amongst all departments.
- Follow and ensure compliance of all policies and standards as outlined in the Employee Handbook, Service Manual, and other Club-generated documents.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chain of Command.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence.
- Ability to understand the flow of service and handle multiple tasks effectively.
- Ability to follow KBYC service standards.
- Ability to work within the following conditions: wet floors, temperature extremes, and loud noise.
- Ability to understand effective approaches of communication with different individuals.
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and superiors.
- Responds well to questions. Listens to others without interrupting. Obtains clarification when necessary.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Verbal and written communication skills in English is required.
- Verbal and written communication skills in Spanish is preferred.
- Verbal communication skills in other languages is a plus.
- Supports superiors and colleagues at all times.
- Maintains values and integrity; humble, respectful and honest.
- Continually contributes to all colleagues’ success; maintains a positive attitude while at work.
- Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- High School qualification or equivalent is required.
- Food Handling Certificate is a plus.
- A minimum of 1-year pastry cook experience in a high volume, upscale establishment is preferred.
- May be required to lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects up to 40 lbs.
- Requires writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time, or for an entire work shift.
- Upbeat, outgoing and positive and reacts well under pressure.
- Available to work late nights, weekends, holidays, and long hours as necessary.
- Must have exceptional grooming habits.